by James Bonisteel
The day I met Tad it was on a very cold day in June it
was strange, you could see your breath outside. A great day to
get everyone inside a building and warm it up with bodies
everywhere. We ended up outside by a picnic table freezing to
death and talking at about that time he gave me these sunglasses
and told me to put them on so that we would look cool. And
wouldn't you know it, they were blue blockers!
- What has been one of the strangest bands you have
- Slash's Snake Pit, it was like watching a cartoon in
- What was it like touring with them?
- Well it was pretty interesting. He's really funny,
he's really caught into his own world--so detatched
from reality and what is going on around him he had
like eight A&R people around him, record label shmucks,
kissing up to him all the time and making sure that he
- How long as a band have you been around?
- Since late 1987. Not as this configuration, but Kurt
and I have been together that long. He plays bass and
writes most of the lyrics with me. We both write 50/50
and the music is 100% band. I come up with most of the
guitar parts, especially on this last album.
- On the new album, "Infrared Riding Hood," where did you
get all those strange pictures from which is on it?
- It's an electron microscope photo of a microscopic bug
of some sort, but yeah it's pretty interesting looking.
- Well it's good because it makes it more interesting
than having someone's face plastered on it.
- Especially our faces which doesn't seem to do a thing
for us lately, as good looking as we think we are.
Well, some people don't think so. Hell, this ain't no
fashion show people this is a ROCK CONCERT!!!
- What do you think of parental advisory stickers being
on your albums?
- It's stupid, I think. I accidentally said, "Shit."
Actually, we even changed the lyrics on the album to
cover what I said. Like where I said, "chicken shit,"
it says, "chicken spit," just so they wouldn't put that
on there but they still did anyway.
- If there was anything you would like to say anybody out
there trying to get into this business or even your
fans what would you say to them?
- Find a good person you can trust as your partner. It
makes headaches a lot easier to take when there's two
heads worrying about it than one, and also watch each
others backs, because somebody will always sneak upon
you all the time. It's a cut throat business. Music
is so fucked, I mean the business end of it is pretty
fucked and anybody that tells you that it isn't,
they're lying and their people to be aware of. At
least, with people like you, you can go home at night
and sleep without killing people and ruining their
Also VOTE, because if you don't you're not watching
your back because nobody is going to watch your back
anymore, with your rights in America. Rights are not
passed down from generation to generation, they're
earned every time and there's a lot of scary shit going
on in politics right now, so WATCH YOUR BACK!! Get
involved because no one else is going to do it for you!
And then he walked into the foggy night and disappeared. Well
not really, but it sounded cool! It's better than saying we ran
like hell to get inside to get warm. The band TAD are: Tad
Doyle- vocals, guitar Kurt Danielson- bass and Josh sinder- drums
© 1995 Rational Alternative Digital