by Jeff Jolley
Check out their CD review in the last issue of RAD
Cyberzine. Knapsack is a band with some serious potential. They
are out there hitting the streets and working their butts off in
true small-band fashion. This band should definately be checked
out before they get huge and stop doing the small clubs.
- I got your CD a couple weeks ago from Wendy (at Alias
Records). How come I haven't heard of Knapsack before?
- Well, it's our debut album.
- It should be on the air up here--it's really good!
- Thanks, I'm sure they're working on that back at Alias
(Records) right now.
- This isn't your first major tour across the states, is
- We went one time before.
- Before, when we just had a single out, we just went out
on that to get going and doing something.
- Where are some of your favorite places to play?
- Boulder Colorado...
- L.A.'s getting better...
- New York's been about fifty-fifty.
- How about San Diego?
- We've played there a lot. San Diego's kinda weird
- When we play with our friends bands it's great...when
we play by ourselves it's a nightmare.
- But San Diego's fun to go down to.
- We have a lot of friends down there, it's just not
- How do like being on Alias?
- Love it so far...
- They're great. They're nice people and they seem
excited to be doing stuff. We don't get lost in the
- We know everybody on a personal basis. We can get
anyone on the phone at any time. I think they work
really hard and they love the music.
- What are some of your (Blair's) inspirations for
- I think with anyone, most of it's problems that you
have. Just sort of personal stuff. I don't really
write political songs, just daily sort of things that
reflect what your life is really like. That's always
the toughest question to answer, but that's my shot at
- Well then, a little easier question for all of you,
what are some of your backgrounds in music? Who do you
listen to and what prompted you to get together in a
Rod We listen to just about anything that's out.
- Rod and I were in another band. we al practiced in the
same spot in Sacramento. I just said, "Look, if you
ever want another guitar player, I want to do it." And
they did, and then they needed a bass player, and our
old band was sort of fucked up, and we ended up in
Knapsack and it's been bliss ever since.
- We've always been in bands. Each one of us have been
in bands as long as we can remember. We don't know why
we did it. We were in bands in high school. It's what
comes real natural. When we're not playing in a band,
we're out seeing shows. I don't really know what else
to do. I mean, I have a girlfriend and that's fun...
- Rock is our life.
- We just want to save the world.
- about 10 years ago, didn't you guys put together that
- Yeah, that was a big boost for our career!
- Wasn't that the one with all the hot stars on it?
- I remember being a kid and when Bob Dylan would do his
solo I'd laugh so hard. I couldn't believe anybody's
voice would sound that bad and anyone would say, "This
guy needs a solo in 'We are the World'!"
- Do you like being on the road, do you like being in the
studio? Where do you feel most at home?
- Not in the Studio...
- On the road...
- Yeah, the studio can be pretty horrible sometimes.
- We all get ancey to get out. When we just had 7" inch
singles out before, we would go out an tour just to do
it. It's never that great to go out on tour on a 7"
single, but we'd just get ancey, get out of town, loose
tons of money and have a great time.
- It's sort of like a vacation. You can't think of it as
being work, you have to think of it as seeing things
and going out. It's better than staying at home and
- When we get done with this tour, we will have seen 35
states, and so that's not something a lot of people can
say. Some of them are real ugly, but we've seen 'em!
- [to Colby] The people or the states?
- No comment there, huh? Any plans for more 7"s?
- We'll probably do a 7". We want to get another LP out
as soon as possible. We have it about half written.
We'll probably do the next 7" as a single from that LP.
- Oh yeah, we're doing a 5" european single. It's the
size of a CD, but it's actual vinyl. It's going to be
released in europe, but it's going to strategically
bleed over here.
- That should be exciting. Any plans to hit Europe?
- Maybe August or September. That's what they tell us...
none of us believe it.
- What else would you like to say?
- Rod has something to say...
- Yeah, we haven't heard NEARLY enough from Rod...
- We like to torment Rod because he's quiet.
- [to Rod] Now, you're from Sacramento?
- I lived in Davis, too. All of us lived in Davis at one
Well, that's Rod for you. He doesn't even stand on stage during
the show! We got two whole sentances out of him. Next time,
we'll have an exclusive with Rod. Look for it and read the deep
dark secrets of his life. Until then, keep your Knapsack close
© 1995 Rational Alternative Digital