by Jon Soong
The Clouds are just about as cool as you can get. After 3 albums
and many EP's and singles, they are touring Australia promoting
their new EP Panel Van. I talked to Jodi Phyllis, Patricia Young,
Raphael Whittingham, and temporary guitarist Ben Nightingale about
lots of different things, as well as giving them a bag of junk
from which they made an egg carton boat.
- When will you back in the U.S.?
- Don't know.
- Probably not 'till middle to late next year..
- 'Cuz we're doing an album.
- We gotta record here. (Sydney)
- When will that new album be out?
- We're looking at mid next year.
- Who'd did you tour with?
- We were mainly doing our own tour. We supported lots of
other bands, though, like Luscious Jackson and Juliana Hatfield.
- We met a lot of really young bands, like bands that are
as unknown as we are over there and there's a great band called
Jenny Any Kind, they're on Elektra. There's a band called Cockeyed
Ghosts. They were really good.... They're not signed to anyone.
- Just a lot of bands that were similar to us in a ways,
doin' something that we connected with. It was
really fun meeting them and good hearing new stuff.
- A lot of crappy bands too (laughs)
- Lotta shit.....One good band in every ten probably.
Depends, it's up to your taste. I dunno, bands that almost sounded
like cover bands.
- What's being on Elektra like?
- They actually had a huge business shuffle, and they dropped
twenty international bands. We were one of them.
- They closed down their international department.
- So we're not on Elektra anymore.
- But they gave us a Club Wagon, a 15-seat van to drive
- They spent a lot of money on us, basically. But
they totally changed their policy concerning international
bands. They're mainly signing American bands now so...
- ...so yeah, if there's anyone out there with a new deal
ready for us....
- Why don't you put more live songs on your EP, seeing as it
costs virtually nothing?
- We'd like to, but "Thunderhead" came out [in the US] 2 years
after it was made and came out here (Australia). It's
really frustrating putting out stuff that's so old overseas. But
we can't worry about that anymore. We're just gonna get on
with it. Like, we were kinda waiting 'till we got a deal around
- What are your favourite albums?
- The new Weezer album, Trompe le Monde, The Best of
Rodreguez, Low, Pollyanna, Underground Lovers, The Verys, Peg,
Crow, You Am I, Beasts of Bourbon.
- And how would you describe each other?
- (laughs) Earth, Sun, Wind, Moon.
Well, that was the extremely friendly and down to earth Clouds,
the afternoon before their Adelaide gig. The gig, by the way, was
excellent, with the smallish crowd getting right in, and the now
near-legendary Cloud Sway (the sway Patricia does) being clearly
and coolly evident.
Check out the Clouds now!
Copyright © 1995, Rational Alternative Digital