BIG HEAD TODD AND THE MONSTERS
by Su Chon
RAD talked to Rob Squires, the bass
player for BHTM, for ten minutes, so it's a little short, but
we think you'll find it interesting.
- Does Todd write all of the songs?
- Yes, he does.
- Do you and Brian have any input?
- Me and Brian make up our own parts, do what we like to
add to the songs.
- Where does Todd get his ideas for songs?
- He's well-read. He reads a lot, and life experiences.
- What's your favorite song off of "Strategem?"
- "Angel Leads Me On."
- Oh, that's a great song. I also love "Poor Miss."
What are your musical influences?
- Brian and Todd met in jazz band. Brian likes to listen
to jazz. Todd likes soul, blues, the classic masters
of those forms. I like rock-n-roll and some country
- Where are your biggest fan bases?
- Colorado, our home state, Chicago, Minneapolis, Austin,
Texas, and San Francisco. We're getting big on the
East Coast in Philadelphia, Boston and New York.
- Are you surprised by yNew York.
- Are you surprised by your popularity?
- We're happy that it's moved very slowly - we spent 9
years as a band. We have a really loyal fan base.
It's great to be making a living playing music and so
far [success] hasn't been an infringement upon us.
- Are you planning on going into the studio this summer
to record another album?
- No, we definitely need to take a break. We'll get back
together in the Fall, maybe tour, maybe record.
- Last night, you looked like you were really enjoying
yourself on stage. Do you notice your fans?
- We do. If the fans have stoic looks on their faces and
aren't enjoying themselves, it's hard to perform in
front of that. But when the crowd gets into, we really
They are taking the summer off, but plan on touring in
the fall/winter. If you get a chance, don't miss their show if
they come to town!
© 1995 Rational Alternative Digital